Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Lesson Number 4 - Fighting doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing

Could you remember a time when our parents ever told us "its good to fight?" when we were kids? I used to just always hear "fighting is bad", or "dont fight with your cousins" or "don't fight with you sister/brother!". But hasn't it ever occurred to our parents then that a good ounce of fight could be good?

As little as my daughter is at this point, she knows how to fight and stand her ground. I don't think I would ever want to diminish that side of her. I can harness it but curb it towards her own good. In this day and age, it's equally important to be bad (sometimes) because the world itself is not all rainbows and sugar cones and cotton candy. I know that my being a parent entails teaching my daughter how to be responsible, and that doesn't mean I have to teach her to be meek and seek cover during times when she has to stand her ground and throw something back.
I feel secure in the fact knowing that my daughter will be alright. There are moments when she gets side stepped or when another kid gets the better of her, but I know that those moments only served to strengthen her. She's a learner. And that is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment