Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Kalamansi Cupcakes


Inspired by the kalamansi muffins at the Real Coffee in Boracay. I experimented on my own recipe and a recipe I got from the lemon bars. Before doing so however, a few notes. Although recipes state a specific temperature and cooking time you have to know that ovens are unique and different from each other. You have to really know your oven in order to bake these goodies and for them to turn out nice and decadent. I use US Tradition electric oven and it never disappointed me but I had to be extra watchful because I noticed that the batches at the back tend to cook and brown so much quicker than the ones in front. Secondly, it tends to overheat so there's a point in my baking time that I have to lower the temp down to a manageable level to cook and bake deliciously. This was not realized in a day (Rome wasnt build in a day right?). I experienced a lot of mishaps, thrown away batches and sadness at first but in the end me and my oven got on good terms and now I am happily baking when I wish to (well, truthfully -- when i have the time).
So here it is:
1 - 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1 stick of butter + 1 tbsp (usalted and at room temp)
2 eggs
1/4 kilo of kalamansi (thereabouts) - grate a few for the rind (choose the really green and firm ones)
1/2 cup of white sugar
4 tbsps of white sugar
1 yogurt (unflavored or any flavor will do except buko pandan - im thinking it will really alter the taste of your cupcake)
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda (there was this blogger who said to use fresh not dead baking soda...and the baking soda i used had been sitting in my pantry for over 4 months now and my cupcakes turned out still good -- so wonder what he meant by that)
1/2 tsp salt
about 1/2 tbsp kalamansi rind
Preheat oven to 180 C. Take out everything you need from the fridge at least 1 hour before baking so that everyting is at room temperature as this makes all the difference in the fluffiness of the cake.
In a bowl, combine all your dry ingredients. Flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt plus the lemon rind. Leave about 1/2 cup of flour aside in case you need to thicken your batter (squeezing out the kalamansi yields different volumes of kalamansi juice). There's no sifting of dry ingredients in my world.
In another bowl - cream the butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light in color. Add the yogurt. Set aside.
In yet another bowl - beat the 2 eggs and add the juice of your 1/4 K Kalamansi. Add the 4 tbsps of sugar. Beat until smooth. Set aside.
Fold in the butter mixture into your flour mixture. Next add the egg mixture slowly and bit by bit all the while mixing your batter until you reach a smooth, even texture. If you find that your batter is too thin add the remaining 1/2 cup of flour bit by bit until you reach your desired consistency. (when you try and laddle the batter it should drop with a "plop" sound). By this time you would have made a sweet yet tangy batter.
Next pour the batter into your muffin pans. For this recipe I got 12 cupcakes.
Put in the oven and bake for about 15-18 min. Using my electric oven, I keep turning the pan every once in awhile so the heat gets distributed evenly to all the cupcakes. Again, its how me and my oven works. You dont necessarily have to do that if you got your own professional reliable oven (hehe).
You will notice that the cupcakes have a thick compact texture to it. It's done (really) when a toothpic inserted comes out clean.

You can use any of these recipes for your icing:

1. Candied kalamansi rind
about 1 tbsp of kalamansi rind
maple syrup or sugar syrup
Heat the maple syrup in a pan on medium heat. Stir in the rind. Let the sauce baubble and thicken (about a min or two). Pour over your cupcakes.

2. Kalamansi Icing (the one I used)
egg white from one egg
about 3/4 cup icing sugar (keep some in case you still need to add)
about 2 tbsp of kalamansi juice

Mix everthing and pour over your cupcakes. I used some on the cupcakes i made but decided that the cupcakes were delish enough on their own so I didnt dollop on them anymore. Just kept it in the freezer. In case I suddenly crave for a kalamansi icing on top
So there you go folks. Hope you like 'em when you bake 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment