Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The First Day of School

The first day of school proved to be nothing different. It all started on this dreary rainy afternoon, in front of my laptop, erstwhile feeding my little toddler. And much like first lessons taught, it wasn't something that I thought I already knew. I have been feeding my daughter like it was war of the worlds between the two of us. Until we settled on a little compromise, yes, as young as my daughter is, she already knows how to compromise. Feed me that gooey stuff you call baby food while I watch you make a clown of yourself. At least that's how SHE compromised and I couldn't do anything about it.

Until a few days later when the compromise suddenly ended. Just as quickly, she doesn't want to eat anything anymore. Not the usual baby food, the poridge I so laboriously pour what's left of cooking skills on, and not the oh so reliable "cheeze whiz" I always put in. None, nothing, nada, zip, zap, boom!

And it has been going on for a few days now, me relying her nutrition on milk and a few spoonfuls of baby food (which by the way paved the way to war again). And, just like the light of day, it dawned on me that its not her lack of appetite that's wrong, but my lack of imagination and creativity that's making this battle a loosing one.

With this thought in mind, I set out to concoct my first experiment. Ol' yeh Knorr Mushroom Soup. And holy of holies! She ate! On her own accord! A couple spoonfulls of warm, creamy mushroom soup. And just as the realization settled, I also found out that she likes warm food so much more than lukewarm ones. Hmmmm....something I was surprised to find out really.
So here I am in front of my laptop, my daughter's tummy full and she watching Cartoon Network. She's like good for the next half hour or so until something else catches her fancy or declares that world is just plain boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment