Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Lesson Number 7 - Let your children paint on walls

I apologize but I have forgotten the name of the man (who is also a father), who has said these words during an interview with Oprah. This man has (or had) cancer and he gave some very insightful advises on child rearing. Considering that he has had a terminal illness, he has decided to turn things around and focused instead on the present and how families should value each day they're together and be grateful for being given another day to love, cherish and take care of each other. He said his parting words would be "let your children paint on walls".

His words touched my heart because it implied that we constantly try to keep our lives balanced. House cleaned, bills paid, cars washed, children bathed and fed, taught their ABC's and 123's, and played with at the park or inside the house. And because of this balance, we sometimes forget that being spontaneous, can also be fun and liberating. When children play, when they do something ridiculous or say something hilarious or do something awesome like paint on walls, they do so without thought or heed for cleanliness or order or without hope of acceptance or fear of rejection. They just do. More often than not, we as adults are the ones who are afraid of chaos or disorder in our lives. And with good reason of course ( i dont have to elaborate). But sometimes, a little dose of impulsive behavior will do wonders to our soul.
Life is too short to waste stopping your child express herself. Yes we need to keep order, but equally yes, we need to harness these little artistic endeavors, this little bursts of freedom to just do. Yes my daughter has not yet painted on my walls, yes i'd probably be a little angry if she did because what if there were unexpected guests arriving? Or what if I had been too tired already to think about cleaning it? I say, now, I love my daughter. A little work of art on the walls will surely not be the end of me.

2 comments:

  1. That was a very nice post indeed. sometimes, I can't wait for my daughter to grow up so that I can play and chat with her, but sometimes I find that she grows too fast for me to catch up with her... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (sorry this came in late =))Oh i know how you feel...I think that's what they mean about " they grow up so fast " because they really do! Each day there's something new that she does, something new that she would say and if im not watchful as a mom, it would slip by without me noticing it and the moment's gone! these are the moments when I wish my daughter doesnt have to grow up hehe!

    ReplyDelete