Monday, September 14, 2009

French Toast Bites and Homemade Mango Jam

Inspired by Crystal's Cozy Kitchen, I decided to make my own french toast bites over Sunday morning. The day was a bit sunny, though It was still a bit dreary for me and I wanted nothing more than to just laze around the house, play with my daughter B and just snuggle under the covers with my husband M. Truthfully I didnt want to get up the bed. If it wasnt for my daughter needing to be fed her breakfast and vitamins, I would have loved to just mosy on back to bed.

So anyways, this breakfast is pretty easy to make. Though Crystal's Cozy Kitchen said that she usually makes french toast bites out of bread ends, well as the picture shows in my case, I didnt mind using any part of the bread loaf hehe..


What you will need:


Bread slices

Butter

1 whole egg

1/2 c of milk

Sugar

Cinnamon

Mango jam (recipe below)


So first, whisk up the egg, add the 1/2 c of milk and set aside. Cut up the bread into little squares or bite sized pieces. Soak up the egg and milk mixture using the bread.


Heat the pan, and melt the butter, about a tablespoon. When butter is melted and heated, place in your bread slices.
Fry about a minute and a half. I like my french toast a bit more toasty. When it's about toasted as seen in the picture below, you can flip to the other side and fry about a minute and half again, 2 minutes more if you so wish.

When you are finished frying, transfer to a plate and sprinkle with sugar cinnamon. You can also add vanilla to the egg and milk mixture. I would have, except that I ran out of vanilla so I settled for the sugar cinnamon.
Serve with mango jam or any other jam of your choice. The mango jam I used below in the picture is homemade. Thanks to eCurry's Spiced Mango Jam, I got a simple recipe for homemade jams/preserves.
What you will need:
2 whole pcs of ripe mango
4 tbps of sugar
cinnamon powder
1/4 c of water
Slice up the mango (any which way you want is ok). Place in a saucepan with cover. Pour the water, add the sugar and about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Let boil for roughly 30 minutes. It will turn syrupy and a bit thick. You can do the jam doneness test after 30 minutes and if you are satisfied of the outcome you can remove the jam from heat and let it cool inside the pan before you transfer to a sterilized mason jar or any glass bottle available. Since this jam doesnt have any pectin in it, you would be wise to realize that the jam will not sit for a long time, unlike commercial jams. So better use it all up in a week!. Anyways, the jam I was able to produce was only enough to fill up a Gerber Juice Bottle (which was what I used). Roughly 4 ozs. So Im pretty sure it's gonna get used up soon enough. I'm just glad my husband M liked it heeeheeee!!!

And last but definitely not the least, I would like to make known (to anyone who's reading my humble blog)...I would love to have me my own photographer's camera!..Imagine the world of beautiful still life I could picture. Haaaa...what a remarkable camera....Why did I add that to my post?..Nothing..just want to shout out!...ciao! I hope you will enjoy doing this as much as I did.

3 comments:

  1. i like this too, but it's a bit heaty for me. will get a sore throat after that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. really? maybe you can try putting less sugar? maybe it will help :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you like the recipe!! Hubby's mom made this as they were growing up and I just tweaked the recipe a bit. The mango jam sounds great, but Hubby doesn't like mangoes.
    As far as a camera goes, I have an okay camera, but Photoshop works wonders, so does the macro setting and natural light.

    ReplyDelete