Monday, September 28, 2009

Despite Ondoy....



The weekend promised to be fun filled -- but it did not keep its promise. While the original plan was to go swimming, as it had been quite hot the past few days, the plan got postponed first due to some unavoidable circumstances. So me and hubby decided to just take B to the zoo for the very first time. The only animal she can recognize at the moment are cats and dogs (aptly referrd to as "meow!" and "aw aw!").

So anticipating a great weekend, I hurriedly finished off deadlines and prepared for Saturday.


Then came a rude, unpleasant and always expected visitor by the name of Ondoy. Tropical storm Ondoy, brought forth a year's amount of rain in just six hours. Most of Metro Manila flooded, thousands of people displaced and I'm pretty sure damages to the millions.


So what was a mother like me to do? Nothing. I couldn't do anything except pray that my loved ones are alright. It was a very long event actually. Come to think of it, I got so impatient at that time that I even asked my hubby if we can go out and stay at the mall for a few hours just to pass the time. But sorry no can do. The streets were all flooded and the rain just wouldn't let up.


Sigh.


I looked around the house to check if there is anything at all that I can bake and lo and behold, I bought a box of Betty Crocker's Angel Cake. It was a sale item in SM Supermarket. Two boxes for the price of one. I looked at the box and asked myself, do I really want to make an angel cake?. I guess on a normal sunny day I would have, except that it just felt to awfully boring. I decided to experiment. It wasn't until the bars came out of the oven that I knew what I was doing.

I call it Angel Bars with Lemon Buttercream Filling. It was fairly simple to make. I got 517 g of Angel Cake Mix. I halved that, so it came to around 260 g of cake mix.





Ingredients:

For the bars:

260 g of Angel Cake Mix (Betty Crocker)
1 whole egg
about 80 g of butter; softened

For the filling

about 40 g of butter; softened
about 3 heaping tablespoons of icing sugar
juice from 3 kalamansi
Instructions:

Cream the butter. Mix in the cake mix. When everything is well incorporated, whisk in the egg. Beat thoroughly.

Decant onto two small baking tins. I used baking tins from a small oven toaster and popped those in my electric oven. Preheated to 200 C and baked them for 20 minutes.

Let bars cool before transfering to a wire rack.

For the filling, cream the butter and sugar. When both are incorporated, add the pure kalamansi juice and mix well. Place in the fridge to cool for about 30 minutes. After this time, you are about ready to set your bars.



Turn out baking tins onto a wire rack. Spread the filling on top of one un-cut angel bar, then place the other un-cut angel bar on top. Cover with baking sheet (like when you're wrapping a gift) and replace back in the fridge for 2 hours to set.


Cut, serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great Recipe! and I hope you come back and write more entries. Anyway, Please check out this video on Filipino kids' independence. Thanks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYUHkidQpW0

    ReplyDelete