Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Lesson Number 5 - The best things in life are free

When my daughter started blabbering it was music to my ears. When she started saying "Mommy" and "Daddy" it was heaven. Knowing that she really was calling out to me or that she was really asking for her daddy to carry her, it was pure joy. These are the moments when you realize that, the best things in life CAN really be free.

We've almost always placed a carefully priced amount to our happiness. Sometimes not knowing how to give and love unconditionally. But, when you finally realize the true meaning of motherhood (which I know I've got a long long, long way to go), you'd know that precious moments really weigh so much more than material things. Yes every once in a while, we want and really NEED something to survive, to keep us sane, to make us happy. To feel that we are in control of our happiness. But oftentimes, we stumble upon an unforgettable moment with our loved ones, and that pricey cell phone is just...a cell phone. That glittery jewel suddenly doesnt shine enough compared to your child's radiant smile. All of a sudden, having enough is more than you can ask for when in company of a loved one.

My daughter was inside her crib one day, playing with her pillow. We call it her "loving pillow" for lack of a better term of endearment. I was watching how her eyes would lit up at a realization that its soft, and cool and comforting. How she would hold it close and cuddle with it and just be content having her "loving pillow". And I wondered when was the last time I felt safe and content and happy with something so simple? I have had enough troubles lately to last me a lifetime, and believe me I would want nothing more than just to be done with it, but watching my daughter that day, it made me realize, not everything has a price tag.

My time with my daughter, the golden moments waiting to pass by, the days of learning, all the adventures waiting to happen..these are all moments I am happily anticipating. And they are now starting....

No comments:

Post a Comment